Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Make Ahead Breakfast Enchiladas


I find lots of interesting recipes following blog parties and hops. Here's one from the Belly Full blog. It's a great site with lots of ideas for home cooking. Here's the recipe as it appeared on Belly Full.

Make Ahead Breakfast Enchiladas

Ingredients:

• 2 cups chopped deli ham
• 1/2 cup diced green onions
• 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
• 10 (7-8 inch) flour tortillas
• 1 1/4 cups half-and-half
• 4 large eggs
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 tablespoon flour
• salsa, sour cream, and extra green onions or cilantro for serving

Directions:
  1. Coat a 9×13 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. Mix together ham, green onions and 2 cups cheese. Scoop 1/3 cup of the mixture onto each tortilla, roll and place seam side down in the baking dish.
  3. Whisk together the half-and-half, eggs, salt and flour. Pour over rolled enchiladas. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
  4. In the morning, preheat oven to 350ยบ F. Bake covered for 35 minutes. Remove cover and sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of cheese over the enchiladas. Bake for 10 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
  5. Serve with salsa, sour cream and green onions or cilantro.
My Modifications:

I followed the directions with the following modifications:

I made only four enchiladas. Two were with flour tortillas and two were corn. Both kinds were good.

I crumbled and cooked the meat from two chorizo sausages instead of ham. I also substituted diced yellow onion.

I used two eggs, a third of the half-and-half, 1 tsp flour and less salt.

The ingredients were easy to prepare, and having it ready to go in the oven the next morning made for a no fuss meal. We enjoyed the enchiladas and they were very filling.


A hot breakfast got us off to a good start to a full day of float cabin living and chores -- more wood for the stove and a batch of no-knead sourdough bread. -- Margy

4 comments :

  1. I want to come eat at your house! The muffins sound good too, only I just don't feel like cooking any more. Seems like I turned a certain age and now I just don't want to do all the food prep. Still I want to eat!
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never had time to cook much while I was working long hours so now that I'm retired I enjoy it a lot more. - Margy

      Delete
  2. Oh my - that sounds wonderful. Our family gets together for Easter Brunch every spring - and this sounds like a perfect recipe to try out - I'm glad you tried it with corn and flour tortillas both - as we have some that avoid gluten, so it is a good recipe for all those who come for brunch. I think most any breakfast meat would be great in it - especially as I don't care all that much for ham.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For us the flour ones held their shape better when removed from the baking dish, but both versions were tasty. I liked having all the prep the night before. - Margy

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Comments, questions, and suggestions are always welcome. - Margy